A big couch

Have you seen the drawings by Gary Andrews, depicting life with his kids after his wife's death? If not Google him, or check some of them out here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-45893376

They are touching and heartbreaking, and beautiful, and every time I see them I cry.
I can't help but see Mike, Ellie and Aiden in his drawings. A glimpse at what they will live when I'm gone.

The first time I saw his drawings I really identified with his empty couch. We have a big comfy couch and I love to sit with Mike after the kids are asleep, or read bedtime stories to the kids, when I'm alone I snuggle the pets (shhhhh! Don't tell Mike I let the dog on the couch ;) ). Will my widowed husband feel sad sitting on our big couch all by himself? Will my empty seat make my kids sad? These are the things I think of and Mr. Andrews' drawings illustrate my worries so well. But they also provide reassurance that with time my family will be ok. They will be happy, they will laugh, they will snuggle up on our big comfy couch and enjoy each other's company.

Tonight we will pile onto our big couch and read stories, watch a show, relax. For now, my pets enjoy sitting with me, and I am comforted by their presence.


Drawing by Gary Andrews, of man sitting on big couch alone
Drawing by Gary Andrews

Golden dog lays with terminally ill owner
Teddy keeping watch 

Cat looking at camera, snuggles on lap of owner with terminal bone cancer
Peep loves snuggles



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moments Shared

Good body

A nightmares dream